Tuesday, May 5, 2009

White Rose

I want to share a story. My grandmother, who I think was the greatest woman to ever live, passed away almost 9 years ago. Her death did a number on me, and I spent a lot of time in denial. Quite a few years, actually. She passed in November of 2000, and when her birthday came in March, I couldn't bring myself to go to the cemetary. I decided that, if I was unable to bring myself there beforehand, I would MAKE myself go on the anniversary of her death. I also decided that I would bring a single rose each time I went, as a little gift for her.

November 29, 2001, after work, I ran into Dominick's to grab a rose for her. I went into the little cooler thing they have the flowers in. They had all different colored roses, seperated into their own buckets, with a 'name' given to each color. Up until this point, I was unaware of this naming thing. I was glancing at all the 'names' of the roses when my eyes fell upon the name of the white rose. My heart jumped into my throat and my eyes welled up with tears.

The name of the white rose? Virginia. My grandmother's name. Our name. That was what one of my friends would call......an Angel moment. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Yup...totally...a smile and a wink from Grandma and your angels.

    You describe you Grandma and the way you feel about her like I do mine...she passed July 2001 and the way I always remember the date, is I remember when 9/11 happened, as I watched the news, I said to myself, "Thank God Grandma isn't here. This would have terrified and upset her so bad." Earthquakes and thunder terrified her...I would call EVERYTIME we had either...even if it was 3 in the morning...and she KNEW I'd be calling. She used to hide in the closet in REAL loud thunderstorms. :-( I love the way she would answer the phone KNOWING it was me. It was our "thing." :-)

    Thanks for sharing your Grandma...

    ReplyDelete