Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Spiritual Journey

In May 2012, I took the first step of a journey that has since changed my life.  I enrolled in the Southwest Institute of Healing Arts.  At the time I enrolled, I got to choose a major and minor for the Associate Degree of Occupational Studies in Transformational Psychology.  (I think the set-up for the programs may have changed a little, but I'm not fully sure on that)  Out of the 4 choices - Hypnotherapy, Urban Farming, Spiritual Studies, Holistic Nutrition - I chose a major of Hypnotherapy and a minor of Spiritual Studies. 

I was so excited to get my class schedule and be in school again.  Yeah, I'm one of those odd people that actually like school.  My 4.0 GPA in an online program is a clear sign of that.  

First up on the list:
1. Prayer Therapy
2. Toe Reading - Reflexology Assessment I - Elemental
3. Hypnotherapy - Foundations Level I


Interesting.  I got to start Hypnotherapy right away (Yea!), Toe Reading sounded interesting, and Prayer Therapy ... well, what in the world is that anyway?! 

I definitely felt overwhelmed in those first few days.  Do I do a little in each class?  Do I complete one week's classwork and then move onto another class?  I found myself asking friends for advice on how to manage the work load.  Prayer Therapy was last on my priority list.  I mean, I still had no idea what it was and the other two classes sounded far more interesting anyway.  By first day of week 2, all of that changed. 

My instructor for this crazy Prayer Therapy class was a woman named Kathy.  There was something in the way she communicated with us, as a class.  She was so gentle, supporting, and caring.  She showed no judgment toward anyone's questions or uncertainties of religion and spirituality.  She truly honored and supported each of us on our different paths.  What stands out in my mind is a suggestion she made to me during class.  We were working with different forms of prayer and I practiced the use of mudras.  I had a very strong experience of energy in my hands with the mudras.  Kathy made the simple suggestion of me looking into learning energy healing work since my experience was so strong.  That moment is forever etched in my mind as I felt like she noticed something in me. 

It is a common flaw of mine to seek outside validation or recognition.  (Don't judge)  In that moment, I felt recognized and between Kathy's supportive demeanor and my connection to the once-crazy-class called Prayer Therapy, I noticed a subtle shift taking place.  (By the way, Prayer Therapy is just as it sounds - using different forms of prayer for therapeutic purposes)

By July, I had finished Prayer Therapy, Toe Reading, Hypnotherapy, and Public Speaking and had moved onto Comparative Religion, Life Coaching - Foundation, and Hypnotherapy Level II.  I had also realized the shift was not-so-subtle anymore and I needed to listen to the nudge my intuition was giving me.   I looked over the class lists (over and over again), and I felt much more drawn to the entire class list of Spiritual Studies than I did Hypnotherapy.  I needed to change my major and minor.  I had no idea what this change would hold for me and even half-way through the program I still found myself questioning what exactly I would do with a major in Spiritual Studies.  But underneath all of the questioning was that unwavering intuitive knowing that this change was right for me.  

Toward the end of the Spiritual Studies classes, I finally got it.  These classes were not so much for my "future" (although they DO play a huge role), but they were for my formation and evolution as a soul.  These classes helped shape who I am in this present moment.  They helped create an understanding and awareness of beliefs I've held and filled in missing pieces of my Spiritual and Religious puzzle.  (I use the term 'religious' loosely)  More than anything, these classes provided me the safety to speak my own truth and allowed me to find comfort in my beliefs not lining up with what I'd been taught growing up.  I felt validated in feeling that some of the things I was 'told' as a child didn't add up.  Most importantly, I felt strongly connected to a faith that fit my life.  And the best part of it all?  Kathy was a huge part of the Spiritual Studies classes and I got to share my journey and transformation with her, the one who sparked it all.  

Once the Spiritual Studies part of the program was over in July of 2013, the questions loomed - What now?  Do I seek ordination?  What would I do as an ordained minister anyway?  I was in the first group of students to take this as a major online, so the school didn't have anything in place just yet.  I received notification that a final class leading to ordination would begin in September, if I was interested.  I thought, Well...I've come this far.  Why stop now?  I had a few months to fulfill the requirements of volunteer time, writing a 1200-word minimum bio-sketch of my journey into ordination, and getting all of my application paperwork submitted.  Naturally, I used up ALL of the time I was given to get all of that done.  And we had a date - January 26, 2014 - an online ordination ceremony would take place for us.  The week of I received everything I needed - my sash, candle, a container of blessed water, and an envelope reading, "Do not open until after ceremony."  (Do they not know how hard it is to NOT open something that says "Do not open"?!)    


Before I knew it, the weekend was upon me and I found myself ceremoniously cleaning my house the day before.  I was quietly contemplating so many things, and taking every step with thought and care.  It gave me the similar feeling leading up to a wedding ceremony.  That time spent in quiet and excitement about what was to come, carefully doing every task leading up to the event ... very ritualistic and ceremonious.  Since the ceremony was taking place online, we were asked to have a sacred witness present.  Naturally, I asked my husband first, but he said he wasn't fully comfortable.  So, I asked a good friend of mine, who happily accepted.  However, the Universe had different plans in mind and gave us a nice 4-5 inches of snow, preventing my friend from making it to our home.  My husband now had to serve as my sacred witness.  We had no choice.  (I love that what is meant to happen always will!)  

Although it wouldn't be seen in the ceremony, I felt the urge to create an altar.  I placed a black cloth over a table, and draped a colorful scarf my husband got me down the middle.  I grabbed a silver candle from my bookshelf, placed it on a black candle holder, and poured sand from Myrtle Beach around it to create a grounding feeling.  I carefully set my candle, blessed water, envelope, sash, and some crystals on the altar.  It looked and felt beautiful. 


I went into my bedroom to get dressed and heard a loud crash.  I asked my husband if everything was all right, and he opened the bathroom door telling me that noise wasn't from him.  I quickly turned my attention to the living room, to see my altar gone.  My cat, Osiris, decided to check out the scenery and I'm not exactly sure what happened, but it didn't look good.  My husband and I were in a hurry to get everything back up and together when I realized that the cork had come off the little jar of blessed water and spilled all over the carpet.  Osiris must have figured the front room needed a blessing, because it sure got one!  I wanted to cry, but all I could do was laugh.  I felt like that was a sign that I was taking things a bit too seriously at the moment and I needed to lighten up a bit.  And luckily, there was a tiny bit of blessed water left in the jar for the ceremony.  (Whew!)  

The ceremony itself was beautiful.  I was happy to connect with people that have shared this journey with me.  This process is very involved and you can't help but get to know the people along the way.  One of the girls has become a dear friend to me, and has played a very instrumental role in my comfort throughout this process.  She has been a continuous source of encouragement, laughter, and tears and I love her like a member of my family.  She is the big sister I've always wanted and I'm so happy she's been placed in my life.  






So, what now?  Well, first let me introduce myself - I am Reverend Virginia Blank, an Interfaith Minister, and I am ready to walk my talk and share my light with the world.  My hope is to inspire others through Spiritual Guidance, Mentoring, and Coaching and to share the message of acceptance and comfort in blazing your own Spiritual trail of beliefs that fit into your life.  And so it is.                 


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vicky. It's certainly been an emotional journey!

      Delete